The Easiest Way to Make Air fryer Potato Wedges
Potato wedges are undoubtedly everyone’s favorite snack food. The taste and the crispiness is the obvious reason.
And the most common way of preparing potato wedges is either baking or deep frying them. But you know what, there is another amazing way as well to make super crispy potato wedges:
That is air frying them!
The air-fried potato wedges are equally tempting and appetizing but are healthier than the wedges made with deep frying. The calorie count is also lessened this way and air frying is a hell lot easier than deep frying.
So don’t waste time and don’t waste oil at the cost of your health and always have air-fried potato wedges without compromising on the taste and the cravings you have.
And don’t worry at all. To make it easier for you, I have come up with all the necessary information and have answered all your queries related to air-frying potato wedges. So let’s get started now.
How do I Perfectly Cut Potatoes to Make Potato Wedges?
- First of all, I wash the potatoes and pat dry them.
- Then I place the potato on a cutting board and cut it into two pieces in the direction of its length.
- Again I cut both the half pieces into two halves each.
- And then I cut those two halves into two parts.
To make it easier for you to understand, let’s say it this way:
I Keep cutting the potato in two halves and then those halves into the other two halves until I get 8 potato wedges. This way the wedges turn out to be in perfect shape and size.
If the potato is small, you can make 6 wedges. Similarly, if it’s extra large, you can make 10 wedges as well.
You see, the number is not fixed. It depends on the potato size and your preferences. I personally like making thin wedges as they turn out crisper. That’s why cutting a normal-sized potato into 8 pieces works well for me. You can increase or decrease the number as per your own choice.
Similarly, I prefer making wedges without removing the potato peel. It gives a good texture and has good nutritional value including a considerable amount of fiber that is good for gut health.
How Do I Air Fry The Potato Wedges?
Recipe to make air-fryer potato wedges
- A Good quality Air fryer
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- 2 Pieces Russet Potatoes
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tbsp Onion Powder
- ½ tbsp Sea Salt
- ¼ tbsp Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ tbsp Red Chili powder
- Preheat the air fryer to 380° F
- Coat the wedges with olive oil
- Add seasoning as per above
- Spray cooking oil on air fryer basket
- Spread the wedges in basket
- Set timer to 30 mins and temperature to 380° F
- Shake the basket after every 10 minutes during the cooking process
Detailed Instructions to Air Fry Potato Wedges
- Firstly, I preheat the air fryer to 380° Fahrenheit for 1-2 minutes.
- Then I coat the wedges with olive oil and toss them with seasonings and parmesan cheese.
- Then I take out the fryer’s basket and spray a little bit of cooking spray on it. (brush a little bit of oil in case you don’t have cooking spray).
- Lastly, I spread the wedges in the basket and set the temperature again at 380° Fahrenheit.
- After around 15 minutes, I take out the basket again and flip the wedges and air fry them again for 15 minutes.
- Then I take out the basket and my super yummy air-fried potato wedges are ready to be served! Yayyy!
Some Important instructions to follow while Air frying Potato wedges
- Give equal time for frying on both sides to get perfect air-fried potato wedges.
- After air frying the wedges for 30 minutes, if you still feel like the wedges need more time to get crispier you can again air fry them for like 1-2 minutes.
I personally air fry them for 30 minutes and they turn out to be super crispy.
But it depends on the wedge’s size and the air fryer as well. So you can adjust accordingly. Not any hard and fast rules here.
Some More FAQs about making Potato wedges:
Which potatoes are best for making potato wedges?
The answer is Russets, Russets, and Russets!
Why? Because wedges made with these potatoes turn out to be the crispest.
As a matter of fact, I have tried many different potatoes for making wedges and the ones made with russets turn out to be the best among all, both texture and taste-wise.
Moreover, they can be air fried quickly and are fluffy as well.
What do I serve with potato wedges?
I like enjoying my potato wedges with cheese sauce most of the time. Here are so many options you can go for dips like chili garlic sauce and ketchup. Sour cream and even plain yogurt with a little bit of back pepper also work great and is healthier too.
Is it Okay to Store the leftover potato wedges?
Yes, it is completely alright to store the leftover air-fried potato wedges. Just keep the following things in mind:
- Store them in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Don’t keep them for more than 3-4 days otherwise, the crisp will be gone.
- Air-fry them for 3-4 minutes and they will be good to go.
That’s how you can eat the leftover wedges but it is always a good idea to make as much as you can at that time. But still, in case there are leftovers you can follow the above procedure. It will work well.
Which air fryer is the best to make Potato wedges?
Being a foodie and having a passion for collecting kitchen appliances, I have tried many air fryers. And the Potato wedges air fried in COSORI Air Fryer Max XL 5.8 Quart turn out to be the perfect among all.
Having super advanced features and being super easy to use, this air fryer is my all-time favorite.
Is it necessary to soak potatoes before air frying them?
Not really necessary but you can soak them if you want to. Basically, the soaking of potatoes is done to remove the extra starch. Also, going for this extra step can add extra crispiness to the wedges but if you don’t do it, your wedges still can turn out to be crispy. It’s all up to you.
Are air-fried potato wedges healthy?
Yes, potato wedges are absolutely healthy but only if made in an air fryer. Because in air frying very little oil is used. That’s why the fat intake is lessened by air frying as compared to deep frying.
How Long to Cook Potato Wedges In the Air Fryer?
In a preheated air fryer, give around 30 minutes to the wedges for perfect cooking. In case you feel the need to cook them more, you can increase the time to 1-2 minutes depending on the thickness of the wedges.
How to make potato wedges extra crispy?
Well, my secret of making the crispiest potato wedges is that I soak them in cold water for like half an hour. Going for this little extra step makes the wedges super crispy.
How many calories are there in air-fried potatoes?
The serving weight of 100 gram potato wedges has around 129 calories. Keep an eye on qty of potato wedges you use to balance your calories intake. General nutrition advice is to take 2000 calories a day.
Other nutritional facts include
Fats 2.2 grams, carbs 25 grams, fiber 2 grams, and sugars 0.3 gram.
Nutritional values are estimates and may vary depending upon various factors.
Are potato wedges a snack, side dish, appetizer, or whole meal?
Normally Air-fried potato wedges are used as side dish and snack option . You can have them with your burger as a side dish or can have them along with any dipping sauce. It’s just all about your preferences and how you like them to be served. Not a big deal, you can enjoy them the way you like.
Summing it Up!
Undoubtedly, air fryer potato wedges are a yummy and healthy food option. They are super easy to make and require very less time. Give them a try and they will be your favorite for the rest of your life!
Happy Air Frying!