Instant Pot bagels combine the classic tradition of fresh, homemade bagels with the modern convenience of Instant Pot. I recently came to know about this recipe and thought to give it a try.
Before I just knew about making oven baked bagels only. And this method is totally amazing, and the bagels made are absolutely delicious.
This innovative method offers a shortcut to enjoy the delightful flavors and textures of traditional bagels, all achieved through the efficient cooking techniques of the Instant Pot.
By streamlining the usual bagel-making process, Instant Pot bagels provide a quicker and more accessible way to savor the satisfaction of warm, chewy bagels right from your own kitchen.
So, if you’re someone who hasn’t tried this method, give it a try and you will be amazed just like me.
- 5 ingredients recipe.
- Bagels turn out soft and fluffy.
- Crunchier from the outside and chewy from the inside.
How to make Instant Pot Bagels
1 cup warm water (250ml)
3 tablespoon sugar (45g)
2 teaspoon instant yeast (6g)
3 cups all-purpose flour (375g)
1 teaspoon salt (5g)
⅓ cup extra flour (set aside)
Other Instant Pot Recipes
Step-By-Step Cooking Guide For Instant Pot Bagels
Step-1: Take a glass bowl and add warm water to it. Then add sugar and instant yeast. Use a manual hand mixer to mix well.
Step-2: Add all-purpose flour and salt to the glass bowl and with a spatula.
Then continue mixing with your hand until the dough is gathered.
Step-3: Add 1/3 cup of flour to the countertop. Shift the dough on the countertop and knead it until it becomes soft.
Step-4: It can take 8-10 minutes to knead the dough.
Step-5: Form a ball of dough and lightly coat it with oil.
Step-6: Cover the dough ball with a damp cloth and let it rinse for 1 hour.
Step-7: Now punch the dough and make it flat. Cut it into 6 pieces of equal size and round each dough slice in the form of a ball.
Step-8: Poke a hole in the middle of each dough ball and widen it with the thumbs of both hands.
Step-9: Add a glass of water to your instant pot then place the bagels in rivet, and pressure cook for 8-10 minutes.
Step-10: Brush them with egg wash and bake for 6 minutes in a preheated oven.
Notes & Tips
1- While mixing the flour and other ingredients with your hand, use plastic gloves for safety and cleanliness.
2- While placing the bagels in the instant pot, make sure they don’t touch each other and there is little gap between them.
3- Use tongs to release pressure from the instant pot.
4- You can add an extra step to this recipe. Before putting the bagels in the instant pot, boil them.
There are a lot of topping options for bagels but it’s up to your personal preference, what you want to choose. Here are some classic and popular topping choices for bagels:
1. Cream Cheese: That’s my favorite one. Plain or flavored cream cheese is a staple for many bagel enthusiasts as it creates an ideal combination with bagels.
2. Butter: Butter is another go-to choice. A little fatty option but delicious.
3. Jam or Jelly: This is a good one for kids. For a sweeter option, you can try fruit jams or jellies like raspberry, blueberry, or apricot.
4. Peanut Butter: Creamy or crunchy peanut butter adds a nutty and protein-rich element to your bagels.
5. Nutella or Chocolate Spread: A sweet treat perfect for school kids for lunch.
6. Avocado: Sliced avocado is a healthier option to pair with bagels. It adds a creamy and nutritious touch. You can sprinkle it with salt, pepper, and even red pepper flakes.
7. Eggs: Classic combination for an ideal breakfast. You can add scrambled, fried, or poached eggs for a protein-packed option in the morning.
Tips For Storing Bagels
Avoid Moisture: Moisture will make bagels soggy. Always make sure bagels are completely cool before storing them.
Avoid Plastic Bread Clips: These clips can create condensation and promote mold growth. Instead, use resealable bags.
Reheat Properly: When reheating bagels use a regular oven to help regain their crispy crust. Avoid microwaving, as it can make the bagel rubbery.
How to make bagels without instant pot?
The prep steps will remain the same. After you have made dough balls as stated above in the recipe, you can prepare bagels in the oven instead of instant pot.
Take a pot, fill it half with water, add a teaspoon of honey, and let it reach boiling point. Once it starts boiling, start adding pairs of bagels to it and boil them for 1 minute.
Then spread the bagels in a baking tray and let them rest for 5 minutes. After that brush them with egg wash and bake for 20 minutes.
Why boiling the bagels is essential?
Boiling helps the bagel to keep its shape uniform. It helps retain moisture within the dough and prevents the bagel from becoming overly dense during baking.
Boiling helps gelatinize the starches on the bagel’s surface. This results in the formation of a thin, smooth layer that creates a protective barrier during baking and gives the bagel a chewy texture on the inside and a crunchy texture on the outside.
- Instant Pot
- 3 tbsp Sugar (45g)
- 2 tsp Instant Yeast (6g)
- 3 cups All purpose flour (375g)
- 1 tsp Salt (5g)
- 1/3 cup Extra flour (set aside)
- 1 cup Warm water
- Sesame Seeds
- Start by mixing warm water, sugar, and instant yeast in a glass bowl.
- Then add all-purpose flour and salt to form a dough. Use a manual hand mixer to mix well.
- Knead the dough on a countertop until it's soft, which can take about 8-10 minutes.
- Shape it into a ball, coat it lightly with oil, cover it with a damp cloth, and let it rise for 1 hour.
- Afterward, punch the dough down, divide it into 6 equal pieces, and shape them into balls.
- Create a hole in the center of each dough ball and widen it. Sprinkle sesame seeds and place the bagels in an instant pot with water and pressure cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Once done brush bagels with egg wash and bake in a preheated oven for 6 minutes for a crunchy and golden finish.