Cooking some recipes in the air fryer can be messy. And you need something to wrap the food to avoid dripping and to make cleanup easy.
Traditional options used for wrapping food are aluminum foil, parchment paper, and wax paper. Aluminum foil and parchment paper can be used in air fryers while cooking but the question is “Can you put wax paper in an air fryer?” or “Is wax paper safe to use in air fryers?
The short answer is no, wax paper is not safe to use in an air fryer. It is coated with a thin layer of wax, which is not designed to withstand high temperatures. When exposed to the heat of an air fryer, the wax on the paper can melt or catch fire, posing a safety hazard and potentially damaging your air fryer.
But wax paper can be a suitable option when cooking low temperature recipes below 175 F.
Let’s dive further and discover why wax paper can’t be used in air fryers, what are other uses of wax paper and what other alternatives can be used in air fryers.
What is wax paper? What is it made of?
Wax paper concept was initiated by Gustave Le Gray. He used it for the first time in 1851 for photographic negatives. Later Herman Frasch rebuilt the idea and developed ways for purifying paraffin and coating paper during 1876.
It is a waxed tissue paper that is made when paraffin wax is applied to pores of paper and spread on its surface to serve as a coating.
Wax paper is a type of paper that is coated with a thin layer of wax on both sides. This wax coating makes the paper moisture-resistant and provides a degree of non-stick properties. It is commonly used in low temperature cooking and baking, as well as for various household purposes.
The main components of wax paper are:
- Paper: The base material of wax paper is usually a thin, lightweight paper made from wood pulp or other plant fibers.
- Wax Coating: The paper is coated with wax, which can be made from different types of waxes. Common wax used for this purpose is paraffin wax. It is heated and applied to both sides of the paper in a thin, even layer.
Although it doesn’t do too well when exposed to the high heat of the oven, it can withstand low temperatures around 175 F.
Wax paper is easy to use due to its unique combination of moisture-proof wax coverage.
This implies that even if your food is exposed to moisture, it will remain safe under an airtight wrap of waxed paper and have a long shelf life.
Similar Air Frying Guides
Can you put wax paper in air fryer?
No, wax paper can’t be used in air fryers. Many air fryer recipes require a minimum of around 350 F temperature or above and wax paper can’t withstand such high temperature and will melt or catch fire.
You can use it for cooking or baking recipes that require temperatures under 175 F. But I would not recommend it because other great alternatives are available to use.
If you need to line the basket or tray of your air fryer to prevent sticking or make cleanup easier, it’s best to use parchment paper, silicone mats, or aluminum foil.
Alternatives of wax paper
Parchment paper is the best alternative to use in air fryers instead of wax paper.
It can withstand heat as high as 500 F. It will not burn nor release toxic chemicals even at high temperatures but it is more likely to get more dark or brittle.
It has plenty of uses such as baking, storage of items, decoration, lining baking sheets, etc.
I personally prefer using parchment paper as the best option for air fryers.
Silicon mats are also in the race and are a good option to use in air fryers. They can withstand a temperature limit of around 450 F. You can easily use them in air fryers for cooking recipes.
They also have a number of uses such as baking, air frying, decoration, etc. In fact, they can do mostly as much as a parchment paper can do.
Aluminum foils are one of the most widely used kitchen items all across the world. As far as their heat capacity is concerned, aluminum foil can melt at very high temperatures around 900 F, which is way higher than the normal cooking temperatures.
However, some kitchen experts suggest that prefer using aluminum foil for temperature around 425 – 450 F as max.
The foil too has a number of benefits such as lining cabinets and drawers, cooking food, air frying, grilling, cleaning, and décor.
Just make sure your air fryer is compatible with the use of aluminum foil. Although most air fryer models allow the use of foil as a precaution always consult your air fryer’s user manual for specific guidelines and recommendations.
Why Wax Paper is not safe for air fryers?
Cooking your food with wax paper is not a safe option. You run the danger of exposing your air fryer or other items around it to flame.
Below are reasons why you should avoid using wax paper in the air fryer:
- Wax paper has a melting point of around 290 F. Since the temperature in an air fryer can even exceed 400 F, the wax paper will melt in such a high temperature range.
- Second, it can not just melt but can catch fire as well which can lead to either a power shortage of the house or can totally damage the air fryer as well in worst situations.
- If melts into your food, then that food is not safe to consume anymore as wax can contaminate it.
Uses of wax paper
- It can be used as a refrigerator sleeve, and you can also wrap foods in it that need to be refrigerated.
- It is also very effective for cleaning purposes. You can clean cooking appliances with it. Such as if the corners of your microwave need to be cleaned or you want to clean oven racks, it can be handy for help.
- You can use it to store small kitchen gadgets such as spoons, bowls, and forks.
- Some experts also believe it can help in keeping cheese fresh. According to Sarah from allrecipies, “It just lets your cheese breath and prevents it from drying”.
- It also helps in dusting duties. If you find to clean places with ting small particles, try using wax paper in such areas for a quick clean.
- It can also serve the purpose of sir tight seal. Just use it as fitting between the cork and the bottle, not only it will help to fit the cork but will also make it airtight.
- You can also clean your kitchen sink with it, It will wipe out any water spots on the sink surface.
- It has non-stick properties and is commonly used to wrap different types of foods as well.
- It is used as a separator between cold food items such as hamburgers and patties.
Wrapping up at the end, wax papers are not compatible with air fryers. Not just with air fryers even in the oven or any other appliance with a temperature above 300 F. So, stay on the safe side and avoid using wax papers in air fryers. Instead, wax papers have other uses as well, you can use it in other ways.
It’s best to use parchment paper, silicon mats, or aluminum foil as substitutes for wax paper to keep the air fryer safe. Plus, these products are specifically designed for the temperature levels and won’t pose a risk.